Dear LMS Families,
Welcome to the 2019-2020 school year! It’s hard to believe that the first day of school is right around the corner! I hope that this summer has been full of fun and relaxtion time with your families!
We would like to welcome three new teachers to
LMS this fall!
Ms. Faith Aleshire: 8th
Grade English Language Arts
Mr. Thomas Helbling: 6th
Miss Abigail Isaly: 7th
Grade English Language Arts
You should have received our back to school
mailing which contained items to wrap up the 2018-2019 school year and aid in
getting the 2019-2020 school year off to a smooth start. Please review the
information and feel free to contact us with any questions you may have. Items
2019-2020 Beginning of School FAQs
Update Annual Forms Letter from
2018-2019 Ohio State Test results
provided by ODE, which arrived in the district last week
This mailing will also include your student’s schedule and an LMS map if student annual forms have been completed online prior to August
o If you have not already done so, please complete student registration forms online ~ see the FAQ handout and Mrs. Pickering’s letter for additional information
o Student schedules will be released once forms have been
o Please remind your child to bring their schedule with them to
LMS Open House (if you plan to attend) AND on the first day of school
I am looking forward to working with each of you
this year. Please always feel free to contact me with any questions you may
Jess Fry, Principal
2019-2020 Beginning of School FAQs
When is LMS Open House?
LMS Open House will be held on Thursday, August 15th from 6:00 – 7:30pm. A team of staff members have been working all summer to continue to enhance the open house experience. This year our LMS Open House Planning Team decided to introduce grade level meetings to the activites offered. Specific meeting times will provide students and parents with the opportunity to meet grade level teachers and learn about grade level specific items.
• 6th Grade Meeting: 6:00-6:20 in the gym
• 7th Grade Meeting: 6:40-7:00 in the gym
• 8th Grade Meeting: 7:00-7:20 in the gym
We hope you can join us to meet teachers, gather information, drop off supplies, update annual forms (if you still need to) and have a little fun!
I see a class called STAR Reading and/or STAR Math on my child’s schedule. What is this class?
During the 2015-2016 school year, LLSD began to use Renaissance’s STAR assessment to gauge student growth and achievement in the areas of reading and math. The STAR assessment tool is an adaptive measure that provides specific, immediate information for each of our learners. Data from STAR assessments has proven to be a valuable tool in identifying and responding to the needs of our learners. LMS offers STAR Reading & Math courses, which are described below.
• STAR Reading: Students will engage in direct instruction lessons that focus on critical close reading strategies in addition to engaging in authentic learning situations that focus on critical thinking, application of knowledge and problem solving skills.
• STAR Math: Students will engage in direct instruction lessons that focus on the development of mathematical fluency and conceptual understanding in addition to engaging in authentic learning situations that focus on critical thinking, application of knowledge and problem solving skills.
Students have been scheduled for these courses after considering their most recent STAR assessment scores and in conjunction with their Ohio State Test scores. Please contact Mrs. Fry via phone (740) 928-8330 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have.
Where can I find a copy of the LMS Student Handbook?
LMS Student Handbook is available on our website. Please notify the school office if you would like to receive a printed version of the LMS Student Handbook. *Note: LMS Student Handbook sign off is part of the online registration process. When you complete this step, you and your child are acknowledging the Board approved LMS Student Handbook.
My child has always been a Lakewood student, do I need to complete the online registration process?
Yes. Parents must register their children/update annual forms for each school year through our OneView system. This on-line tool replaces the paper forms you completed in the past.
• For questions regarding online student registration and/or updating forms, please contact Debbie Bowman, Registration Secretary, at 740.928.1915 or via email at email@example.com.
• If you do not have on-line access, please contact our school office at 740-928-8330 to arrange a time to complete forms, or stop by the school office during regular summer office hours (8:00am – 3:00pm).
• Stations will also be available for completing forms during LMS Open House.
How does arrival and dismissal work at LMS?
• Parents may drop children off starting at 7:10 a.m. Please use the east drive off of Rt. 40 and drive south. The drop off zone is the curb/sidewalk on the east side of the Middle School. This is the only designated parent drop off zone. Students may enter the East doors of the auditorium at 7:15 a.m.
• From 7:10 a.m. to 7:25 a.m., the east drive that separates the Middle School and the football field is ONE WAY heading south.
• Cars should be driven heading east through the driveway between the football stadium and the baseball field.
• Parents should exit onto Lancers Road. If you wish to exit directly onto State Route 40, please use the parking lot at the Lakewood Athletic Complex to turn around and exit. Be sure to yield to oncoming traffic.
• Parents who must enter the building during this time should park in a marked space in the lot in front of the school. Please do not block any school exit, entrance, handicap drop off zone, fire lane, or curbed area.
• For student safety, please yield to the buses when they are pulling in and out of the drop off zone.
• Please help us observe these safety guidelines.
• Parents who must pick-up children or enter the school at dismissal time should enter the east entrance and park in the gravel parking lot of the Lakewood Athletic Complex.
• For student safety, no car traffic is permitted in front of the Middle School between 2:15 p.m. and 2:35 p.m.
• From 2:15 p.m. to 2:35 p.m., the east drive that separates the Middle School and the football field is ONE WAY heading south.
• At 2:30 p.m. students will exit LMS and report to the gravel parking lot at the Lakewood Athletic Complex. Please do not be in a hurry when “moving” through the parking lot. Think safety first!
• Please yield to buses and thank you for your cooperation.