Our curriculum is broad, balanced and aligned with Ohio’s Revised Learning Standards. There is a clear progression of knowledge and skills that is also flexible and responsive to individual student needs and interests.
Our focus is on student growth, mastery of material and achievement. When students do not understand, teachers find different ways to deliver material. For students who need additional help, we provide various intervention programs that support students from elementary school to high school. In addition, we have instructional coaches who work with teachers to provide ongoing support and professional development.
As part of the student experience, our teachers provide students with rich first-hand purposeful experiences. The students at all levels use the Design Cycle to ask questions, research, create plans, study results and come up with new questions.
Lakewood High School students are 1:1, meaning each student has a Chromebook for use at school and home during the school year. Students and teachers use the Chromebook as a learning tool.
AP courses are offered at Lakewood High School. The courses include English Composition, English Literature, Calculus, Statistics, Biology, Chemistry, U.S. History, U.S. Government, European History and Spanish.
Honors classes are offered in Math (6-8), Algebra (Grade 8), Geometry (Grade 9), Calculus, English Language Arts (Grades 6-10), U.S. History, World History and Biology. We also offer Superior Cognition Pull-out (Grade 3-5) and a self-contained English Language Arts class for students who are gifted in Reading at grades 4-5.
Lakewood Local offers College Credit Plus (CCP) courses at the high school. The offerings for this year include various English courses, Speech and Database Application. Students are able to go off-campus to take college courses at surrounding colleges and universities.
We also connect with business, industry and community members to bring their expertise and authentic learning to the classroom. We have partnerships with various groups, including the Lakewood Education Foundation, Buckeye Lake for Tomorrow, Licking County Soil and Water Conservation District, The Works, Dawes Arboretum, Pathways of Licking County, Big Brothers and Big Sisters and more. Students also participate in the Rotary and Youth Leadership Council.
Students participate in internships, work-study experiences and mentorships to help them become Career and College Ready. Our ‘Get On Track’ program, staffed by volunteers and funded by Lakewood Education Foundation, offers services to help students navigate options after graduation.
Our partnership with C-TEC allows us to offer students the opportunity to earn industry credentials in a variety of fields, such as Architectural & Engineering Design, Medical Assisting, Culinary Arts and Diesel & Power Equipment Mechanics. We have a complete Information Technology Pathway from 7-12 that is taught at our middle and high schools. The middle school also offers Pre-Engineering courses to interested 7th and 8th graders. These courses connect to courses offered at C-TEC and can lead to students earning industry credentials.
The Class of 2017
There were 171 graduates in the Class of 2017:
- 12 earned a 4.0+ GPA
- 41 earned 3.5 - 3.99 GPAs
- 37 earned 2.5 - 2.99 GPAs
- 32 earned 2.0 - 2.49 GPAs
- 12 earned less than 2.0 GPA
Advanced Placement Reuslts
- In May, 2017 84 AP exams were taken in 8 subjects
- 70% of the AP Exams received a score of 3 or higher (state avg 64%, global avg 60%)
Post-High School Placement
- 58% matriculated to 4-year colleges
- 25% matriculated to 2-year institutions
- 14% are entering the work force
- 3% selected military service
- 1 AP Scholar with Honors (scored a 3 or better on 4 AP Exams)
- 2 AP Scholars (scored a 3 or better on 3 AP Exams)
- Oustanding C-TEC Studen of the Year - Annie Betts
- Lakewood Preschool received 5 Star Step Up to Quality Award from the state of Ohio
- Girls Athlete of the Year and Softball Player of the Year - Courtney Vierstra
- STEMfest Biofuels Competition HS and MS Winners
- Jackson Intermediated earned "Momentum Award" from ODE for student gains in Reading, Math, Science and Social Studies
- Girls District Champions - Basketball 2016 & 2017
- Girls State Champions - Softball 2016 & 2017